As writer and lecturer Dale Carnegie once said, “Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.” This quote could not be truer. Have you ever needed a pick-me-up amidst a difficult day and had someone show you a little kindness? Not only does kindness brighten your day, but it inspires you show that same kindness to others. See, the domino effect here? So we challenge you, outliers, to be the first domino by completing a “Random Acts of Kindness” week. Do one act of kindness every day for a week! Here’s a few ideas to get you started, but feel free to come up with your own!
- Pay the tab for the person behind you in line at the gas station, coffee shop, ect.
- Purchase a bouquet of flowers and leave them on a random car in the parking lot with a note wishing the owner a wonderful day.
- Tape an envelope containing a $20 bill onto a gas pump. Include a note telling the next customer that you hope this helps them get wherever they are headed and to enjoy their day.
- Bake a batch of cookies or brownies and deliver them to your local fire station and police station. Include a note thanking the brave men and women for protecting your city.
- After paying your parking meter, if you notice another meter close to expiring, put a couple extra cents in it. You will save the owner of the car a parking ticket.
- Give your attentive and hard-working waiter/waitress a large tip and tell their manager how great service they provided.
- Write a kind note for a stranger and tape it to a park bench.