Today is International Women’s Day. A time to celebrate women’s accomplishments- both those of famous history creators and the women in our lives who mentor and inspire us. It’s a day to celebrate gender equality and continue to push further in the journey.
This year’s theme is #PledgeforParity. This means that the path to equality is underway, and major milestones have been reached- but we have not yet “arrived”. Double standards, labels, and inquality still exists, in both loud and subtle ways; in the oppression of women in countries all over the world, and quietly in the workplace.
Do your part to ensure that the future for girls is bright, equal, safe, and rewarding. International Women’s Day acknowledges and celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women around the world. It celebrates Women Game Changers.
In 2014, the World Economic Forum predicted that it would take until 2095 to achieve global gender parity. However just a year later, in 2015, the forum changed that prediction to 2133. This means that the pace of progress has already slowed, and will continue to do so. Don’t let it slow anymore, get out there and start promoting gender equality for women around the world.
8 Ways to Celebrate the Day
- Host a pledge for parity event, any day of the year. Bring in a community leader/advocate to speak on gender parity. Use the occasion to educate and inspire others to work toward gender parity.
- Attend an event in your area. You can look one up that may be happening today here. Meet and network with other women. “Build each other up” by giving a younger woman your business card. Get inspired by a speaker you haven’t heard before or by finding out more about a non-profit you didn’t know about that empowers women.
- Educate yourself and read articles or books on female empowerment and gender parity. We’ve highlighted 9 books here that will inspire you and have you on the edge of your seat, itching to forge a new path.
- Use social media to educate others on gender parity and learn about what is going on around the world. Post inspiring and informative articles, and follow organizations that promote female empowerment. Use the hashtags #pledgeforparity and #womengamechangers.
- Read up about exuding confidence in work and everyday life here on our post about Amy Cuddy’s Power Poses. When you are about to walk into the office for the day, before a big presentation, or during your mid-day energy crash you can practice these surprisingly easy adjustments in your posture.
- Support female focused charities. We’ve highlighted six here that we love which benefit women’s causes.
- Learn about the history of the day. The UN website has a great summary here with chronology of important events highlighted.
- Make the pledge for parity here. This commitment to yourself will simply act as a physical symbol of your aim to:
- Support the cause of helping women and girls achieve their goals and ambitions
- Challenge conscious and unconscious biases, call for gender-balanced leadership
- Value women and men’s contributions equally
- and create inclusive, flexible cultures
*Check out more ways to celebrate the day here.
Need more inspiration? Check out these quotes from women game changers and outliers.
Comment below with how you plan to celebrate the day.