Known for the holidays, December is a month of giving, drinking hot chocolate, making snow men, eating anything peppermint, and picking those New Years resolutions. However, this month holds deep meaning for many additional reasons that we all may not be aware of. For example, did you know December 10th is Human Rights Day? This includes many important causes that we will talk about more in an upcoming blog, and they are probably more worthy of our attention than the end of year sales, and competitive Christmas lighting (don’t get me wrong, we enjoy scouting out the best lights in the neighborhood). Take a quick minute and celebrate givers, time travelers, human rights, and positivity for these great December causes.
Celebrate the Month:
- National Day of Giving – Dec. 1, a global day dedicated to giving back. People around the world will come together for one common purpose: to celebrate generosity and to give.
- Pretend to Be a Time Traveler Day – Dec. 8, pretend to be a time travel who has somehow ended up in the present day. Take this day to allow yourself to be astonished anew by all of the things you take for granted every day.
- Human Rights Day – Dec. 10, celebrate the fundamental proposition in the Universal Declaration that each one of us, everywhere, at all times, is entitled to the full range of human rights, that human rights belong equally to each of us and bind us together as a global community with the same ideals and values.
- Bill of Rights Day – Dec. 12, the bill of rights enshrines in our Constitution the protection of our inalienable freedoms, from the right to speak our minds and worship as we please to the guarantee of equal justice under the law.
- Look of the Bright Side Day – Dec. 21, celebrate the day and be optimistic. Look for something positive, out of an otherwise bad or sad situation. If you had a bad day yesterday, look on the bright side today.
- Make Up Your Mind Day – Dec. 31, celebrate the day by resolving a dilemma or coming to a consensus on all those issues you put on hold. End 2015 with a fresh mind.